Beggars Bush: A Perambulation through the Disciplines of History, Geography, Archaeology, Literature, Philology, Natural History, Botany, Biography & Beggary

Weare, Somerset Beggars Bush 1839

Now pasture land in part of the old Open Field area of Upper Weare.

Source

Tithe Award, no.294.

Thanks

Phil Quinn

Michael Costen

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Wardington, Oxfordshire Beggar Bush ?

Beggarall and Beggars Banks in the same parish.

Source

JP Field, J., English Field-Names; A Dictionary, Newton Abbott, 1993, p.17

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Vicarstown, County Offaly Ireland Beggars Bush 1837

Ballyvicarye (1569) (Irish, Baile an Bhiocáire) is recorded consistently from 1602 as Vicarstown, with some variation in spelling, but the record for 1837 gives “Vicarston al’ Beggar’s Bush”.

See also Philipstown, County Offally, although there is no obvious connection.

There is also a Beggarstown (Irish, Baile na mBacach) in County Offaly.

Source

Placenames Database of Ireland


Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: , | No Comments »


Toyd Down Hampshire Beggars Bush ?

Location on north facing slope to east of a Windmill Hill, close to Kingstown Copse, near the hamlet of Tidpit, at South Eastern edge of Cranborne Chase. It is an isolated location, not close to any road. A Paradise is not far away.

Photos

Geograph

Flickr

Thanks

Jim Champion

 

 

 

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Thompson, Norfolk Beggars Bush 1881

Rye, W, An index to Norfolk topography, (London, 1881, p.23) gives Beggars Bush, near Stow Breckles” but no more.
This must be a location near Stow and Beckles heaths. It is possible that this is linked to the Poor’s Allotment and Poor’s Piece.
Thompson, Norfolk is a small parish and village near Watton, located amongst woodland. Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Stretton Baskerville, Warwickshire Beggars Bush 1852

Tithe Survey:

Plot Number 15, in the  Parish of Stretton Baskerville, Coventry Diocese

5 Acres, 0 Roods, 17 Perches

State of Cultivation, Arable

Landowner John Huskisson

Occupier William Powers

Source

CR0569/230


 

 

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Stretham, Cambridge Beggers Bush Field 1639?

The OS Map and an aerial photograph forming part of an ecological assessment shows Beggars Bush Field as on the south side of the lane leading from A10 (Cambridge to Ely) south of Stretham towards Red Hill Farm. Also recorded on an undated parish map.

EPNS, Cambridge, p.238 gives Begger(s)-field, 1606, 1639.

For an example of the standard romantic explanation for Beggars Bush place names, see, Harper, C. G., The Cambridge, Ely and King’s Lynn road, the great Fenland highway, Chapman Hall, London (1902) p.251

Sources

CRO Cambridge  P1 47/P2

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


South Brent, Devon Beggars Bush ?

The site is shown on the OS Map as being just north of the A38 to the south of the village, by a slip road.

The address of Major General Victor David Graham Campbell, CB, DSO, OBE, High Sheriff of Devon in 1968 is given as Beggar’s Bush, South Brent. The address is given in modern documents as Beggars Bush, Glazebrook.

The earliest record I can find is the advertisement of the Will of a Marion Goodwin advertised in 1950.

South Brent, Somerset is different.

 

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


South Brent, Somerset Beggars Bush 1842

The village is now known as Brent Knoll from the prominent hill.

See also East Brent, Somerset nearby

South Brent, Devon is different.

Source

Tithe Award 1993, nos. 87-92

Thanks

Phil Quinn

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »


Shapwick Somerset Beggarsbushe 1771

Somerset Historic Environment Record includes two entries for sites adjacent to Beggars Bush Copse, which is shown on the OS and 1946 as a trapezoidal copse, perhaps the remnant of a larger area. Entry 12557 refers to evidence of medieval ridge and furrow cultivation preserved in the copse. This is on the north east edge of the village, on the southern edge of Shapwick Heath, between Burcott Lane and the remnant of a track. Entry 16213 refers to an unidentified mound to the south of the track. Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: | No Comments »