Thanks to Sylvia Robbins for drawing my attention to the very clear place name on the Yates map of Glamorgan (1799). The 1885 OS Survey which shows it at the junction of what are now the B4238 Water Street and A48 roads, east of the M4 to the south of Margam Country Park. It is shown directly above the word Smithy, by some buildings the western side of the B4238 road. It is not shown on the 1877 1:2,500 map. The name is still in use and shown on modern maps. Read the rest of this entry »
A local website says “Driving west to Cowbridge, you pass through Beggars Pound before leaving the village. Its name on the 1885 village map is Beggars Bound. The name as also been recorded in the past as Beggars Pond, Beggars Bond, Beggars Well, Beggars Bush and Beggars Field. Within Beggars Pound are St John’s Well, and nearby Howell’s well. These Wells are believed to be of mediaeval origin, possibly earlier. The Wells are where travellers watered their horses and villagers got their daily drinking and washing water.” Read the rest of this entry »
This is a curious record. Although there is a vey precise grid reference in a modern official document it doesn’t seem to relate to any current feature. However, the name, in English, can be traced back via the writings of a major figure in the Druidic and Welsh language revival. Read the rest of this entry »
“Geasse way, beggarsbush” is recorded in 1699 (NLW Cwrtmawr 862). “Geasse” may be “goose”. Geese were walked to markets in flocks.
There is also a Gooselands recorded as an alternative for Coldharbour, a cognate name to and near Beggars Bush at Warminster, Wiltshire. The goose~ may derive from occupation by geese but may be another derogatory name. Goose meaning simpleton is known from 1547. This would fit with the literary use of the phrase Beggars Bush as a place to which people went through their own folly. Read the rest of this entry »