The Tithe Survey gives Beggars Bush (no.103, 13 acres 2 roods 27 poles and no.103, 3 roods 36 poles ) and also Shaw in Beggars Bush (no.105, 18 poles)
Brian Smith lists Beggars Bushe Field for 1860. Assuming the later name is the same the location it is between the Canterbury Road and Thanet Way, just SE of Ellenden Farm, in a clearing on the edge of Ellenden Wood.
Kent Tithe Awards
Whitstable’s Old Field Names, by Brian Smith
Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Kent | No Comments »
This is a lane west of Old Romney running across Walland Marsh. It leads from Narrow Bush Lane, past Coldharbour Farm, to Bush Farm, connecting to Coldharbour Lane and Coldharbour Bridge.
The farmer at Coldharbour Farm describes it as marshy arable, poor in comparison with the other local farmland. For Coldharbour as a place name see Laverton.
6 inch O.S. Maps of Kent, revised 1905/08
Posted: October 9th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Coldharbour, Kent | No Comments »
The 1688 Thomas Hill map of Birchington, drawn for John Bridges when he bought Church Hill Farm in Birchington in 1688 shows Baggers Bush as hedge feature along the south west boundary of a field named Bunum Shott with an area 6 acres 2 rods 14 perches on the west edge of village. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: May 5th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Birchington, Kent, Minster in Thanet, charity | No Comments »
A deed dated 1566 records, 1a. At Fyldes Court Wood, ½a. At Dunstreet Way, 1 rood “called Begars Busshe lying to the King’s highway towards the South, to the lands of Robert Alcok towards the East and West and to the lands of Robert Spracklyng twoards the North”. The seller is Henry Pettit of Birchington, probably the Henry Pettit, son of John, born before 1523 at Birchington who died in 1568, though possibly the Henry Pettit, son of Valentine, born about 1520 at Dent-de-Lion, Margate. The purchaser is “Galfride Sandwell” of “Mynster”. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: May 1st, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Acol, Birchington, Kent, Minster in Thanet, early sites | No Comments »
The site appears to be close to the junction of the A21 and A233 on the edge of Bromley Common. The area is consistent with the derogatory usage. There are local stories associating the location with highwaymen, and two elm trees, but they give the impression of being developments of the place name. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: April 24th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Bromley, Hartfield, Kent, highwaymen, naming story | No Comments »
This may be an site where the origin of the place name is from the charitable purpose to which the land was put – the relief of beggary. It was a field owned by Sprott’s Charity, described as being 3a 1r 30p when sold by them in 1920, on the east side of a bridleway called Nye Lane, which was one of the ancient routes to the Downs, and close to the parish boundary between Ditchling and Westmeston. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: March 19th, 2011 | Filed under: Places | Tags: Ditchling, Kent, charity | 1 Comment »